Prompt Questions Essay
Prompt Questions Essay
A DNP Degree is one of the most important degree specializations in the medical field. This is because it provides an opportunity to understand the operations in the nursing field and because it adds value to my career as an individual. I also prefer this course because it adds knowledge especially in many areas of healthcare such as information systems, informatics and other important parts of the curriculum (Ketian and Redman, 2015). In addition to this, this course provides an opportunity to experience what is like to be a teacher as it is also inclusive in the curriculum. In future, I intend to become a teacher and this means that this experience will pay off later in my life. I had earlier done my RN and later on, I was interested in pursuing my masters and PhD program.
However, my interest has always been majored on clinical practice and completing my masters qualified me for higher ranks in this area. Research has shown that many nurses in a similar situation as I opt for DNP over the PhD because they tend to be supportive of the primary interest in clinical practice. The DNP program, as stated by Ketian and Redman, shows that few schools have closed masters program to offer more advanced studies and practice. In addition, the studies by the two authors show that there is a lot of growth in the number of programs and in addition, there is the evolution in the DNP program. The comparative study o 2011 shows that about 48 percent of schools offer DNP to MSN holders while, on the other hand, about 52 percent offer the same to both BSN and MSN holders.
My short-term goals however are to complete this program and acquire credible certification. My long-term aspiration is to have the ability to become an instructor participating in the approved coursework, practice and all the relevant projects that will solidify my future goals in educating other nurses and organizations with a similar initiative.
My project is related to working towards the improvement of complications and the satisfaction of patients. My project is also aimed towards ensuring that there is an adopted explanation to patient procedures and an evaluation of a surgical procedure pre-surgery, during the actual surgery and during the recovery process. This project will help in understanding the patient conditions, the most suitable solutions and the distinctive patterns in all the cases in question.
For this project in particular, there are two types of patients and the procedure in question is that of a Total Knee replacement. The first groups of patients are those with normal skin but itching and the other groups that have redness, skin that itches, pain and increased local temperature. The three conditions to consider in this project are that there are facts, costs and the benefits (Sigh et al. 2013). Under the normal skin but with itching group, the patient has to have an appointment so that it can be easier to address concerns in an orderly fashion. The other group however does not require the appointments as their conditions are much more severe.
In terms of cost, the normal skin group has a probability of wasting time hence increasing the losses incurred and the resources used. With the other group however, there is a probability that there will be increased complications such as cellulitis, abscess and seroma, which may also cost considerably high. Lastly however, the benefits in the normal group is that educating the patient on all the dangers is crucial to ensure satisfaction and optimal use of resources. On the other hand, the group is expected to manage complication of time and decrease costs.
Ketefian, S., & Redman, R. W. (2015). A critical examination of developments in nursing doctoral education in the United States. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, 23(3), 363–371. http://doi.org/10.1590/0104-1169.0797.2566
Singh, J. A., Kwoh, C. K., Richardson, D., Chen, W., & Ibrahim, S. A. (2013). gender and surgical outcomes and mortality after primary total knee arthroplasty: a risk-adjusted analysis. Arthritis Care & Research, 65(7), 10.1002/acr.21953. http://doi.org/10.1002/acr.21953